Re: master ad5cf84fa7: Add `auth-info-password' and use it instead of ad

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master ad5cf84fa7: Add `auth-info-password' and use it instead of ad hoc code
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 08:58:19 +0100

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Sam,

>     Add `auth-info-password' and use it instead of ad hoc code

Thanks for this! Would you mind to add also a description of this
function to auth.texi, for the benefit of other package authors? As
bonus, also a test in auth-source-tests.el?

Whether this is good for an etc/NEWS entry I don't know, but likely yes.

> +(defun auth-info-password (auth-info)
> +  "Return the :secret password from the AUTH-INFO."
> +  (let ((secret (plist-get auth-info :secret)))
>      (if (functionp secret)
>          (funcall secret)
>        secret)))

Tramp ought to use a different implementation:

> -              (while (functionp auth-passwd)
> -                (setq auth-passwd (funcall auth-passwd)))

I have no reference for the problem which has triggered this, all I've
found is this ChangeLog entry:

2018-05-02  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>

        * tramp.el: ...
        (tramp-read-passwd): auth-source could return cascaded functions.

Perhaps it is better to use the loop as well in auth-info-password?

Best regards, Michael.