Re: Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 18:43:34 +0800

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, although itʼs not clear from the text in xresources.texi what
> 'offthespot' and 'root' actually do. I suspect the first means "use
> the echo area", but what about the other one? Or is it "we donʼt know,
> the input method has free rein"?

With "offthespot", Emacs tells the input method to display itself on the
bottom right corner of the frame.  The XIM documentation calls this
"displaying the pre-edit information in an area provided by the client".

With "root", the input method has free rein, but each input method
should display itself in a unique spot of the display (i.e. one not
taken up by another input method).