Re: master 751789471c: Display pre-edit information from X input methods

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 751789471c: Display pre-edit information from X input methods
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 10:17:59 +0200

> branch: master
> commit 751789471cf04916bcfad358472625f382e596d8
> Author: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Commit: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
>
>     Display pre-edit information from X input methods
>
>     This also repurposes the `pgtk-preedit-text' event to be
>     meaningful on X, renames it `preedit-text', and documents it.
>
>     * doc/lispref/commands.texi (Misc Events): Document
>     `preedit-text'.
>     * lisp/term/pgtk-win.el (pgtk-preedit-text): Bind to
>     `preedit-text' instead.
>     * lisp/term/x-win.el (x-preedit-overlay): New variable.
>     (x-preedit-text): New command, bound as a special event to
>     `preedit-text'.

Does this mean we will now display the preedit text from XIM in our
own windows?  And this is on by default, and the user cannot go back
to the old behavior (where AFAIU the preedit text was displayed by the
IM itself)?  Those are all user-visible features, and should be
documented as such.  Currently, there doesn't seem to be any
user-level documentation, and moreover, the lispref documentation
stops short of saying how these new events are used by Emacs.

Also, I believe we should let users go back to previous behavior, and
I'm not yet sure we should make this behavior change by default.

Or what am I missing?