Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 19:45:43 +0000

Nan JunJie <nanjunjie@139.com> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> nanjunjie@139.com writes:
>>
>>> For me an emacs user, `customize` itself is a setup wizard, it does not
>>> need another setup wizard to customize the customization. Or once the setup
>>> wizard came out, we need to figure out how to customize the setup
>>> wizard, and we would enter an endless loop.
>>
>> I disagree, the setup wizard could be seen as a "tour" of customizable
>> options, consciously designed to guide the user into the relevant
>> options that are worth paying attention to.
>>

> Customization may not need a `tour` like this. Usually customization
> actions occur at the very beginning.

What do you mean by "the very beginning"?  My point was just to say that
if a setup wizard would be generalised, the infrastructure could be
generalised to other package, but also Emacs releases (you download a
new version of Emacs and want an interactive guide of what you might be
interested in changing).

>                                      So early that `setup wizard` has no
> chance to guide the beginners anything. Once the beginners gained enough
> abilities to accept the guidence and start the "tour" for customizable
> options, they already knew what the customization is, even how it works,
> so do not need the `tour`:) Maybe I am wrong. Too long time, I can't
> remember exactly when and how I got the key point of customizations as
> an emacs beginner.

I agree that if you are a total beginner, just listing user options that
exist 1:1 wouldn't be that productive.  A wizard must be able to
abstract and bundle multiple options, not just skip from one
customize-option buffer to the next.

--
        Philip Kaludercic