RE: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:43:08 +0000

> What I propose is to agree on a default value
> for custom-file that could potentially be
> changed by the user inĀ  init.el or .emacs
> and do the (load custom-file 'noerror) after

Yes, I already proposed exactly that.

However, wrt that last part, about "default
behavior":

As I said earlier, `custom-file' should be
loaded by default just after the init file,
but _only_ if it has not already been loaded.

Users need to be able to control when and
where `custom-file' gets loaded (which
includes the possibility of doing so more
than once).  There should be no automatic

In addition, we should have an option that
can prevent such automatic loading altogether.

(And of course you should be able to just
set `custom-file' to your init file, if
you want to keep the longstanding behavior).