Re: [External] : Re: Have Customize always use `custom-file`

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Have Customize always use `custom-file`
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 09:00:00 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Sorry for nonfree link.  TLDR: Stefan mentions existence quirks and
> corner cases on some interactions of autoloading and Customize.
> Experto credite.

What Stefan M said was that you should not autoload variables, which is
advice not specific to custom whatsoever.

Here is Stefan's entire reply for reference:

  As a general rule, you don't want to autoload variables.

  Yes, it's a known problem, and there's no really good solution to it
  (each solution I could come up with had its own set of
  bugs/misbehaviors), which is why all I can say is "don't autoload
  variables, please".

  Even in the case where it happens to do what you want, it's
  undesirable in my experience. It just has too many quirks and corner
  cases

Nowhere does he mention custom.