Re: Have Customize always use `custom-file`

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Have Customize always use `custom-file`
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 19:31:01 +0100 (CET)

Jan 3, 2022, 20:55 by drew.adams@oracle.com:

>> > For problems:
>> >
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32693757/ema
>> cs-package-customization-and-
>> autoloads__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!ch4K0byKujWHfMCY7DyWs5dx-
>> 3h5iPQestwjvN1CHmMk0tDfWAo_lOk7FaJddxMS$
>>
>> Sorry for nonfree link.  TLDR: Stefan mentions existence quirks and corner
>> cases on some interactions of autoloading and Customize.  Experto credite.
>>

> As I said, I answered the question posed at that link,
> there.

Oh, I've read it, didn't want to imply otherwise.  I sent the correction
for others.  I used emacs-devel as To:, did I make a mail mistake?

> What the user asking that question did was reasonable.
>
> Users can control the behavior.  If you put a defcustom
> sexp in an autoloads file, then you need to know, and
> perhaps pay attention to, when that file gets loaded.
>
> There's nothing mystical about this.  The behavior of
> a defcustom sexp, like any other Lisp code, can depend
> on code that's been previously evaluated (e.g. loaded).
>
> That applies to a defcustom that's autoloaded as much
> as to one that's loaded/evaluated in some other way.
>
> If a defcustom expects things to exist, or things to
> have happened already, when it's evaluated, then you
> need to make sure those things exist or have happened.
>
> Stefan's advice to not autoload defcustom sexps is
> perfectly fine to follow.  It can also be fine to
> autoload some defcustoms - but in that case you of
> course need to pay attention to evaluation/load order
> etc.
>
> Emacs Lisp gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself
> with.  You're not obliged to hang yourself, however.

I stumbled upon that post when my hand got burned from messing with
manual packages, customize, and autoloads.  I understand your perspective,
but you're basically an Emacs legend.  For me this was yet another set
of pitfalls to dance around, caused by a package whose main purpose is
to make life easier for n00bs.