RE: [External] : Re: Adding emacsql to NonGNU ELPA?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Adding emacsql to NonGNU ELPA?
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 16:00:31 +0000

> concern is the treatment of 1:1 mapping between elisp nil and
> sql null. I'm not sure this is a good idea. In database terms, null is
> different from nil (or false). In database terms, null essentially means
> 'unknown' - it isn't false, it isn't true, it is unknown. Most databases
> also have a boolean value - perhaps for elisp, false would be a better
> mapping for nil than null?

+1.

(Caveat: I'm not following this thread.)

Good default relations between Lisp nil and SQL NULL,
and good user control over those relations, are very
important.

[The same is true for relations between JSON null and
SQL NULL, BTW.  Sometimes you want to treat them
similarly; sometimes (typically) you don't.  And when
you don't, you want to be able to specify just what
the relation (handling/transformation) is to be.]