Re: Not using DOC for ELisp files

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Not using DOC for ELisp files
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 08:48:03 -0500

On 2021-12-27 20:48, Stefan Monnier wrote:
The patch below removes from the DOC file the docstrings coming from
ELisp files.

In numbers (in my tests), this reduces the size of DOC from about 3.2MB
to about 850kB, and increases the pdmp size by about 53kB or about 0.7%.

The benefits aren't great, obviously, but it does remove some warts in
the `lread.c` code (into which I bumped in the `scratch/fcr` branch,
which is why this comes up now).

I have a vague recollection that such a change was mentioned in some
bugreport-discussion some months ago but I can't remember where.

Comments?

I've only skimmed the actual code changes so far, but I think this is a good direction to go.

Stefan Kargas dug up an old bug report of mine, but I think I may also have mentioned something like this in our old discussion and experimentation of doing away with unexec in favor of a big .elc file, a few years back now(!), my idea at the time being to reduce the runtime startup work done in a build without unexec.

Another piece I recall looking at, which I don't remember if I brought up on the list at the time, was moving the C based doc strings into the generated .o files and the executable; in combination with removing the elisp doc strings, this would get rid of the DOC file altogether. I haven't had much time for Emacs hacking in quite a while, sadly, but if there's interest, I can try to find a little time to dig up those old changes on the C side and see how complete they were and if they can still be adapted in some form or other...

Ken