Re: using finalizers

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: using finalizers
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 01:37:10 +0100

On Sun 02 Jan 2022 at 19:11, Rudolf Schlatte <rudi@constantly.at> wrote:
> That being said, I'll try to express, in one exaggerated sentence, the
> deep cons of using gc for non-memory resources in the hope that it
> helps a bit:
>
> ”If you rely on the garbage collector to release non-memory resources as
> a side effect of reclaiming memory, you will run out of resources if you
> increase the main memory of your system.”

Is that your sentence?  Or could you point me to the source for further
reading?  I agree that the huge inbalance between the amount of
available memory and the amount of available file descriptors is a
problem.  But the sentence does not explain the details.  Is it the
consequence of Lisp running on a hosted operating system with those
constraints?  Did for example lisp machines have the same constraints?
Why?  Could EMFILE and ENFILE trigger gc and then retry open?  sbcl does
finalize file descriptors and iirc some schemes close them automatically
too.