Re: master f6da1eed74: Properly report errors about unbound ERT test sym

From: Philipp
Subject: Re: master f6da1eed74: Properly report errors about unbound ERT test symbols.
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:59:26 +0100

> Am 31.12.2021 um 14:45 schrieb Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>:
>
> In general, the ERT manual is very short, and it also doesn't document
> the other error symbols as well (ert-test-failed and
> ert-test-skipped). Sometimes, it would helped me to write some code
> around ert functions, but likely there are not so many people doing it
> like me.

The manual states:

   Both ‘ert-run-tests-interactively’ and ‘ert-run-tests-batch’ are
implemented on top of the lower-level test handling code in the sections
of ‘ert.el’ labeled “Facilities for running a single test”, “Test
selectors”, and “Facilities for running a whole set of tests”.

   If you want to write code that works with ERT tests, you should take
a look at this lower-level code.  Symbols that start with ‘ert--’ are
internal to ERT, whereas those that start with ‘ert-’ are meant to be
usable by other code.  But there is no mature API yet.

I don't know what's missing before the API can be considered "mature", but
adding some documentation about the API to the manual instead of referring to
the source code would be a good first step.