Re: [nongnu] elpa/cider ff1de2bd22: [#3113] Hardcode cider-version as a

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [nongnu] elpa/cider ff1de2bd22: [#3113] Hardcode cider-version as a workaround
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 13:45:51 -0500

> I'm already using `package-get-version` as well, but in case they install
> from MELPA there's a divergence in the version that I wanted to account for,
> as MELPA replaces the "real" package version (e.g. 1.2) with a build
> timestamp. So I end up displaying to the users something like "Version
> 1.2.0-snapshot (package: 20211219...)" in those cases. Makes it easier for
> me to debug issues related to snapshot builds. Anyways, thanks a lot for
> the help!

Right if you want to circumvent MELPA's version numbers, then you can't
just use `package-get-version`.  But you can probably steal ideas from
the code of `package-get-version` (maybe the cutest of them is to mark the
function as `pure` so it's computed during compilation) and
`macroexp-file-name` (tho this last one benefited from accompanying
changes in various "core" parts (like bytecomp.el) to make the info
available in a more convenient and robust way).

        Stefan