Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 19:01:02 +0200

> Cc: theo@thornhill.no, eric@ericabrahamsen.net, philipk@posteo.net,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 00:16:51 +0200
>
> On 22.12.2021 19:44, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > And allows to reply to
> > messages.
>
> But not to the mailing list.
>
> Which is what sourcehut's web UI (much younger than Mailman) allows you
> to do.

Would someone like to work on providing the capability of replying to
the mailing list (or, alternatively, "Reply All") from the Web form of
reading the emacs-devel archives?  I asked the GNU staff and got this
in response:

> Yes, I think replicating the reply-all behavior from clients like emacs
> would be best, but even just replying to the list would be better.
>
> mharc + mhonarc generates these pages, using $FROMNAME$ in the html
> template. I just took a look at the source code for mhonarc which
> populates FROMNAME and don't see any other variable that does the job we
> want, but I could have missed it, I don't see a general list of them. So
> it might require a patch to the perl code in the package mhonarc version
> 2.6.19-2, you can get it from any debian based distro. I don't have the
> time to make the patch, but I can review and apply any that someone else
> makes. The templates we use are in
> https://vcs.fsf.org/?p=mharc.git;a=tree

It sounds like the job might be simple enough, provided that you have
a working knowledge of Perl programming.

If someone would like to make this happen, please respond to this
message, either to the list or to me privately.  If this feature is
added, it will probably benefit all the GNU mailing lists managed and
archived by mailman.

TIA