Re: Gnus; Restore multi encoding support for NNTP

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Gnus; Restore multi encoding support for NNTP
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:31:07 +0100

>> What's worse is when there are two group names having different coding
>> systems decoded to the same UTF-8 string for the same server, if gnus
>> doesn't correctly record which one uses which, well... (This is the
>> reason for using charset string property for that)
>
> Gnus does not handle this situation correctly, and I can't imagine it
> ever did.

I think it did, since we just kept the unencoded data in the newsrc
alist, and then decoded before displaying.  So you could have any number
of groups with names that decoded to the same displayed string.

> But probably it should. How does this per-group encoding
> information arrive from the server?

It doesn't -- you just have to know (and put that knowledge in
`gnus-group-name-charset-group-alist').