Naming FCRs

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: Naming FCRs
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 19:46:39 -0500

   From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
   Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:04:25 -0500

   Hi,

   As the year is getting near its end, I figure it's a good time to open
   a competition to choose a name for the thingy I've been playing with in
   `scratch/fcr`.

   The current name stands for FunCallableRecords, but this name is clearly
   wrong, since it makes it sound like I'm defining a special kind of
   record that just happen to be callable as a function, whereas FCRs are
   really fundamentally functions that happen to have slots and a type,
   like records . . .

Without looking at the code, this sounds more like a closure to me.
Since the slots are accessible outside the function, that would make it
a "transparent closure" . . . but I like the internal dissonance of
"open closure" better.  ;-}

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://www.rgrjr.com/