Re: Variable pitch mode line

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch mode line
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 08:53:51 +0200

> From: Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 21:56:21 +0100
> Cc: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
>
> On Thu 23 Dec 2021 at 12:51, Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I’ve tried that. Info files are not complex, but they can’t be
> > reliably parsed 100% of the time. My code works for like 95% of the
> > nodes, but there are always some corner cases where it breaks.
>
> Why doesn't texinfo html output suffer from this problem?

Because it starts from Texinfo's original markup, not from Info, where
most of it is either lost or translated to something else.

For example, @var{..} should be converted to italics in HTML, but Info
has it in CAPS.  OTOH, acronyms, like GNU, are also in CAPS.  So how
would you distinguish between acronyms, which should be left alone in
HTML, and what was in @var{..}?