Re: Variable pitch mode line

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Variable pitch mode line
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:50:26 -0500

>> Perhaps, or perhaps they'll want to have Info pages that look prettier.
> I don't believe that distro packagers might want to include Info manuals
> in the HTML format when only Emacs will display them but not the standalone
> Info reader.

I'm not sure they include Info manuals mainly for the standalone info
viewer either.  But in any case, currently I don't think any doc viewer
has a good story for "use HTML as replacement for Info", so it's clear
that if we want it to happen, we need to start by making Emacs support
it well.  And only later, *maybe*, distros and other Info viewers will
follow suit.

>>> It can't be a mode because some Info manuals are split among several files.
>> I don't follow the logic.  You can make a mode that covers as many
>> files as you wish.
> I meant this is not like the Emacs Info reader works.
> It's not enough to enable Info-mode after visiting
> an Info file.  At least, you need to use Info-on-current-buffer.
> And still it works only on the first Info file in the sequence
> of multiple Info files.

This discussion doesn't matter: he was only talking about making
Info-mode work both for Info and HTML documents, suggesting to use
a boolean var named `info-html-minor` in order to distinguish which is
currently used in the `Info-mode` buffer, which can/will change as you
navigate from one manual to another.

But, FWIW, I consider multifile Info manuals to be a thing of the past
and I'd be happy to actively discourage their use.

        Stefan