Re: Motif support

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:05:34 +0100

    Lars> Well, we ended the thread with:

    >> > We could just remove support for '--with-x-toolkit=motif' from
    >> > configure.ac for a while, and see if anyone complains. If not, we rip
    >> > out the actual Motif code.
    >>
    >> Sounds like a plan.

    Lars> And now we've had (at least) a couple complaints, so perhaps we should
    Lars> reconsider.  It did take almost a full year, so the complaints
aren't...
    Lars> vigorous, though.

It looks like I wrongly assumed that the people who still build Emacs
with Motif support tracked master, and would thus all jump out and
complain instantly about my heinous crime. It looks more like they
wait for a new release, and this change is not in a released
version of Emacs (and Iʼve seen no messages from the alleged CDE
people affected by this).

If thereʼs a strong will to put it back, we can of course do so, but I
was hoping to achieve more removals of problematic display code. If
even such a small change is rejected, then I lose hope we will ever
achieve such simplifications.

Robert