Re: Incorrect font weight selected

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Incorrect font weight selected
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:14:28 +0100

On Sat, Dec 18 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity, if you happen to know it, how does the "custom"
>> machinery does this then regarding to faces? It it also done in a frame
>> hook?
>
> You mean, how it makes the customization be in effect for future
> frames?  No, it just records the change in the default faces for new
> frames.

Which is ok, but then again does it also delay the font selection until
the first graphical frame is selected? Otherwise it would also suffer
from selecting the font too early when used in daemon mode.

On my side, I've tried a few other approaches by never setting the
default font (all frames), and only performing lookup/setting
frame-specific fonts in the after-make-frame hooks. I'm running into all
sort of quirks. Aside from the completely incorrect size (which I've
just bumped up for the sake of testing), it looks like a lot of other
things get broken. For example the bold version of the 'default face
shows undefined glypths (the unicode square thingy), but only when the
second frame is created. The second frame gets an identical treatment in
the hook. Again, all these issues disappear if I set the default font
for all frames at least once, and looks like I can set _any_ font. This
seems to trigger some sort of one-time setup.