Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: master 3d38d1d: Add sqlite3 support to Emacs
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 23:57:13 -0500

I wrote

    Perhaps we should package this with Emacs so as to assure every
    Emacs installation has the real PCRE.

This is one part of a nest of serious issues.  How will we
expect/tell users to find sqlite3 plug-ins for use in Emacs -- for
instance, PCRE?

1. Do free GNU/Linux distros package it?  If so, with sqlite3 or separately?

2. What about people who aren't using one of those distros,
or are not using GNU/Linux?  Where would they get these?

3. Does that involve looking in package repos that contain
nonfree plug-ins too?

4. What does the sqlite3 package itself say about where to get plug-ins?
Does it direct people to a place with nonfree plug-ins?

"How do we tell users to find sqlite3 plug-ins for use in Emacs?" is a
question that will be certainly have a factual answer.  If we don't
choose it, other people's choices plus happenstance will choose it.

So if we are going to include sqlite3 in Emacs, we had better choose
a good answer for this question.