Re: Window focus event

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Window focus event
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:43:18 +0100

lxsameer <lxsameer@lxsameer.com> writes:

> Thanks folks, In the deprecation message of the `focus-in-hook`
> family, it refers to `after-focus-change-function`. Isn't it better to
> change that message to include these two hooks as well?

AFAIU, input focus is a per frame concept.  Window selection is
something different.  There are overlaps (the selected window is
typically in the frame that has input focus), but I don't see that
`window-configuration-change-hook' is a replacement for `focus-in-hook'
like `after-focus-change-function' is.

You can change the selected window without changing focus.  It can be
that no frame has input focus.  If a frame gets focus, that doesn't
necessarily change the window configuration, etc.  I hope my mental
model is correct.

Is there anything you could do using `focus-in-hook' that you can't do with
`after-focus-change-function'?

Michael.