Re: sqlite3

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:49:19 +0100

Le merkredo, 15-a de decembro 2021, 2-a horo kaj 36:01 CET Alexandre
Garreau a écrit :
> However, I feel like the core point that many must feel and that would
> justify all these lengthy and not always that much dense discussions is
> that SQLite is actually very useful, very demanded, very popular, and
> that’s precisely the problem.  SQLite has been described, as long with
> ZLib, as “one of the two most used software on the planet”, it’s almost
> everywhere, so the network effect is *extremely powerful* in their
> favor.
>
> I feel that this power is feared, because then the fear that a
> dependency on sqlite *will* appear, as soon as it’s allowed, scares
> some users.  I understand the idea of “unlispiness” of it, personally,
> and I indeed feel we’re growing more akin to standard software than to
> the lisp world…

after some coincidental experience yesterday night, I discovered this
reaction is very very akin to the one some people may have in front of
english, esperanto or similar language when exposed to it with a fear it
may overcome, while they’re unused to it.  fear of powerful and good stuff,
because they might become essential