Re: Preloading xwidget.el on xwidget builds?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Preloading xwidget.el on xwidget builds?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 06:06:58 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Or we could move `make-xwidget` to `xwidget.el` and rename the
>> C function to something like `internal--make-widget`.
>
> Hmm, good idea.
>
> How can I make autoloads conditional on a build configuration though?  A
> very large amount of code uses (fboundp 'make-xwidget) to detect xwidget
> support, and breaking that would be very inconvenient.

We've been trying to move to a different architecture for detecting
whether Emacs has been built with, and currently has access to, external
libraries -- `*-available-p'.  It'd be nice if xwidget had that
function, too.

But as you point out, people test for `make-xwidget' today, so we can't
really move it to Lisp, I think.  So I think Stefan's first
suggestion -- make `make-xwidget' require widget.el -- is the way to go.