Re: `unreadablep'

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: `unreadablep'
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 18:36:08 +0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Variable would indeed be better. Using variable is more consistent with
>> the existing behaviour. prin1 can already be controlled by variables
>> like print-level, print-circle, etc
>>
>> Though the name should probably start with print-. Maybe something like
>> print-unreadable (t by default, nil will make prin1 throw an error, and
>> 'replace to print the value of print-unreadable-as instead of unreadable
>> object).
> How about `print-throw-if-printing-unreadably'?

I don't have strong opinion about print-unreadable vs.
print-throw-if-printing-unreadably, except that the latter feels too
long (which is not a big deal).

I am more interested in the ability to print nil (or something else)
instead of unreadable objects. My motivations is org-element-cache where
we cannot currently store buffer objects because they cannot be restored
from printed cache while not increasing the write time significantly (it
is bad enough as it is).

Best,
Ihor