Re: sqlite3

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 14:10:28 +0000

> On Dec 12, 2021, at 4:22 AM, larsi@gnus.org wrote:
>
> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
> And somebody talked about doing an implementation of this that wasn't
> backed by sqlite, in which case...  nothing?  (But if you deleted the
> backing storage to that method, it would affect something?)
I have a working implementation of s-expr based log structured
key value store. The current persist.el on Elpa has a file system
based implementation, and I plan to also provide it as an backend.

If you delete them, then of course the store is just gone, just like
if you delete the sqlite3 database.

> On Dec 11, 2021, at 12:29 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> That doesn't imply Emacs should not support sqlite3.  If you happen
>> to store large amounts of persistent data, you might like
>> saving persistent Emacs data that way.
>
> Which is exactly what is being planned.
>
>> But it does imply that sqlite3 should not be the default way to store
>> persistent Emacs data.
>
> Which is exactly what is being planned.  No one has any intention to
> go over all the data Emacs stores between sessions and convert all of
> them to sqlite3.  We only plan to use that where a data base is large,
> and thus using plain text there is unwieldy.

I’ve implemented exactly this, and your multisession.el, with a
little modification, would fit into this plan and functions as a key-value store
backend.