Re: New package: resist!

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: New package: resist!
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 03:02:44 +0100

Le dimanĉo, 12-a de decembro 2021, 2-a horo kaj 52:56 CET Michael
Heerdegen a écrit :
> Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> writes:
>

> > Lists have readable print syntax in almost every Lisps,
> > and hash-tables and structs both have readable print syntax
> > in Emacs Lisp
>
> It's onyl that you can't use it if one of the elements does not have
> readable print syntax.  So you have to traverse the list, and you end up
> doing the same as eieio-persistent needs to.

But then lists are not the “elements which do not have readable print
syntax”, while we asked you example of such elements.

Yes, you need to traverse the list, but to print a list you traverse it
anyway.  The idea of an “extensible print” is that during that recursive
traversing that print already does, if it encounters a “object that it
doesn’t know how to print”, we teach it to use a function that knows how
to print it in a such way that it can be read again.