Re: persistent data feature

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:43:50 +0800

>> Another example is Org Roam (https://www.orgroam.com/), which uses
>> sqlite to manage its index of Org metadata.
>
> Could you give details?
>
> I don't know what is Org-roam (and the above web-page describes it in
> terms that don't speak to me very much).  What does it store in the
> database?  Why did it choose to use sqlite rather than plain text
> (e.g. simple personal preference on the part of the author, or was
> a text file tried at first but proved too inefficient, if so which
> part)?  What kind of database size is common?

Org-roam stores Org headline metadata like headline title, todo-state,
scheduling info, properties, tags, links to other headings, etc.

AFAIU, they use sqlite for easier integration with third-party
tools. For example, links between headings can be visualised using
existing web-libraries (see
https://github.com/org-roam/org-roam-ui/blob/main/package.json)

As for the DB size, I am not sure. However, it should scale with the
number of headings. You may think of 10-100k headline DB records and a
multiple of that number for links between headings.

Best,
Ihor