Re: History completion

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: History completion
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 22:52:52 +0000

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

>> Another suggestion would be to follow comint mode's bindings: C-c M-r/s.
>> But, unlike comint's case, C-c M-p/n aren't being used so it's also an
>> option.
>
> Two key presses is not the most convenient to browse completions.
> Horizontal Icomplete uses ‘C-,’ and ‘C-.’.

Maybe I got something wrong, but I thought we're discussing commands
that were similar `next-matching-history-element' and
`previous-matching-history-element' (bound to M-s and M-r).

The ones I thought we're referring to would match an element based on a
given prefix (akin to comint-previous-matching-input-from-input and
friends).

IMO, it would make sense to have a symmetric behaviour in comint mode
and the minibuffer.  Some will argue that I can just type "^" right
after I call M-r/s in the minibuffer.  Well...

In that vein, I suggested C-c M-r/s for the hypothetical
`previous-matching-history-element-from-input' and
`next-matching-history-element-from-input'.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"