Re: Mutating existing persistent data

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Mutating existing persistent data
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 21:04:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe we don't need to give up so easily.  We could use something like
> sqlite-persistent-value or db-persistent-value.  eieio itself has
> several FOO-persistent-BAR things, so why can't we have one more
> variety?

That it's a db on the backend is a detail the callers don't really need
to know, so putting that in the name here seems less than optimal.

But perhaps we could go in a totally different direction with the name
since none of the things that rhyme with "persistent" are free or good.
What about...  `state'?

So `define-state-variable' and `(state-value foo)'?  It's a bit on the
vague side, but it's kinda snappy.

Doesn't seem to be taken in-tree at least.