Re: Mutating existing persistent data

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Mutating existing persistent data
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 13:22:08 +0800

> I think we're moving away from get/set pairs.  We could have gone even
> more magical -- reader macros!

Reader macros are one of the features of Common Lisp that are highly
prone to abuse.  They also make the meaning of simple programs confusing
to the human eye.

It would be a shame for a basic feature of Emacs Lisp to use such a
facility.

Personally, I never saw the benefit of generalized variables in Emacs
Lisp.  I think it would be more practical to stick with the tried and
true method of set and get pairs.

> (push 'gazonk (sticky-value list-foo))

> But we should call this something other than "sticky", because that's
> kinda sticky.

What if Emacs isn't built with sqlite3 support?  Is there a fall back in
place for that situation?