Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 10:20:24 +0200

> From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 16:54:02 +1100
>
> Does it actually give that much of a performance boost?

IME, it's significantly faster, yes.  When you start a new version for
the first time, it takes a couple of minutes before it compiles all
the Lisp files you have routinely loaded (my build is not a full AOT
build, per the default, so only the preloaded Lisp files are natively
compiled as part of the build), but after that the performance is
tangibly better, and when it later needs to compile additional Lisp
files when they are first loaded, that doesn't affect the UX in any
significant way, AFAICT.

> It has been a couple of months since I tried native compilation in
> Emacs 28, but when I did, I noticed next to no performance
> improvement at all. In fact, all I did notice was lots of warnings
> and significant delays whenever I updated packages.

I don't install, let alone update, packages, so my experience doesn't
include that.  Caveat emptor.