Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 08:35:00 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> That'd be much slower, I guess?  For each such separate glyph we need
> first clear the background with the color of the face, then draw the
> glyph itself.  Right now, we clear the background for all of the
> glyphs in one GUI call, then write all of the glyphs in a single call
> to the font driver.

Every decent font system has the ability to specify glyph advances
manually.

Perhaps we could extend the font driver's draw function with another
`advance' parameter that specifies the width of each glyph?

We already do this in the Cairo font backend, and the Mac font backend,
but transparently without the knowledge of the rest of Emacs.