Re: Any use cases of `iso-transl-language-list'?

From: Tor Kringeland
Subject: Re: Any use cases of `iso-transl-language-list'?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:57:26 +0100

> When typing Spanish, the characters I have trouble inputting are exactly
> ¡, ¿, ñ and Ñ, but not the accented vowels (I use a prefix character ´
> for them).  So it seems "complete" in the sense that it covers exactly
> the characters I'd use.  Maybe your experience is different.

I see your point.  I use an US keyboard layout which doesn't have
modifiers for accents, so I've just gotten used to using `C-x 8' or
inputs methods, where producing "ñ" or "é" require the same amount of
key-strokes.  Though /e.g./ Norwegian keyboards have modifiers "´" and
"`" which one could also use for /e.g./ writing Italian.  There's also a
"^" modifier.  So this is more complete than I had thought, in that it
covers these more tricky characters.

I still think using the default `C-x 8' or input methods is a better
method in general, but in its current state this seems to have a use
case for said languages, so leaving it as is and documenting is better.

> Documenting this sounds like a good idea.  Could you write up a patch?

Yes