Re: GStreamer xwidget

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: GStreamer xwidget
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 15:31:53 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Those videos are very often links to Youtube, which depend on running
> nonfree JS code.    If the aim of linking with GStreamer is to make
> those embedded Youtube videos work in Emacs, we should not do it!

> Unless we can bypass the JS code of Youtube.

Don't worry, we will not load the proprietary JavaScript, as shr (which
is the program that motivated me to work on this feature) is incapable
of running any JavaScript at all.

> We may be able to do that, if we make those embedded video links
> automatically talk to invidious proxies rather than to youtube.

> Can someone see how to implement that?

OTOH, that may actually be simple to implement, depending on the
interface exposed by invidious.

There are also programs such as youtube-dl, which allow to view YouTube
videos without running any JavaScript.

Perhaps we could use their interface instead, which other free software
such as mpv already makes use of.

But this is becoming something of a tangent.