Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 16:51:07 -0400

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Now, the current order is (strictly speaking) correct, because those key
>> translations are real and they take precedence over the rest of the
>> bindings.  But the likelihood of a user wanting to inspect that stuff is
>> pretty low, and it's just so...  long.
>
> I usually say `C-h b C-s' to find what I'm looking for, so the length
> isn't very important to me.  But, on the other hand, it would save me
> some typing if what I usually want is at the top.  So in my use, it
> doesn't matter too much if we have 50 lines or 5000 before the bits I
> want.  The thing that would really help me is having closer to zero.
>
> So I'd definitely appreciate the change you suggest.

FWIW some completion packages define commands like

- helm-descbinds
- counsel-descbinds
- embark-bindings

which read bindings via completing-read and show the
function and its description.  It might be useful if emacs
had such a command built in.  FIlting via completion could
be more useful then isearch.

--

Howard