Re: Is there any easy way to fork in elisp? Why not?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is there any easy way to fork in elisp? Why not?
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 02:52:50 -0400

  > I am not an expert, but if adding forks for all platforms is so difficult
  > that it cannot be added in the foreseeable future, please consider just not
  > supporting the fork API on Windows.

If we decide to support this fork feature, to leave it unimplemented
on Windows is ok as an option.  We won't reject a good feature on
account of its being unimplemented on Windows.

However, we need to think carefully about the feature, whether it's a
good idea, whether there are difficulties about it.  So we need a
clear statement of what it should do.

What exactly does the feature consist of?  I suppose it creates
another process, but what then happens to each of the two processes?

We may need to figure out what it should do in various situations.
For instance, how does each one get command input?  How does each one
display?  What happens if the Emacs job has subprocesses, or sockets?

What range of situations should it handle?  A narrower range of cases
may be easier to implement, but may be less useful.