Re: describe-char on emoji sequences

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: describe-char on emoji sequences
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:16:59 +0300

> From: James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Copyright: Copyright 2021 James Cloos
> OpenPGP-Fingerprint: E9E9 F828 61A4 6EA9 0F2B  63E7 997A 9F17 ED7D AEA6
> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 03:02:43 -0400

> EZ> The solution is either to install Noto Color Emoji, or to customize
> EZ> your fontset to specify one of the above fonts you do have, assuming
> EZ> some of them do support Emoji sequences.
>
> Emacs really should accept Noto Emoji and not only coloured stuff.

What do you mean by "should accept"?  Emacs tests the fonts for
support of the script it needs to display, and generally uses the
first one that passes the tests.  If you want Emacs to use a
particular font for a particular script, you should customize your
fontset, as I suggested above.

And btw, in my testing Noto Emoji's support for Emoji sequences is
inadequate: it seems like it doesn't have the information necessary
for displaying sequences as a single glyph, even without the color.
So I'm not sure you really do want Emacs to use Noto Emoji.

> Reading main&news would be vastly worse with non-monochrome glyphs.

Most people think otherwise.  But again, you can customize the fontset
to have what you want, just make sure you have a font that supports
monochrome display of Emoji sequences.