Re: Dark mode on Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Dark mode on Windows
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:49:43 +0200

Vince Salvino <salvino@coderedcorp.com> writes:

> I will try to make a second patch following your advice, independent
> of this patch, which exposes the system light/dark preference to
> Emacs, via a variable, so that the user can read or write it at their
> pleasure. This is going to require knowledge of all the various window
> managers supported by Emacs, so help will be appreciated!

What you propose makes no sense, in general. In KDE, for instance, there
is no light <-> dark switch button, the user just activates wathever
theme he wants. And most window managers do not try to manage
application appearence at all, which is fine, because that's not their
job. KDE, Gnome and a few more are desktop environments and frameworks,
which have much wider scope, but you don't need one of those to run an
effective GUI on GNU/Linux.

Going back to your patch, it is okay. This thread was muddled by some
interventions who showed no understanding of the topic. You must care
only about Eli, you don't need to cater to anybody else's requests, much
less when it is obvious that they don't understand the topic (nor even
are they the target users!)