Re: desktop-background.el as a new library?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: desktop-background.el as a new library?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:02:32 +0200

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> Please see the attached tentative diff for image-dired.el to get an
> idea.  (Please ignore the somewhat unwieldy defcustoms; I followed the
> scheme in image-dired.el and intend to clean that up.)
>
> Maybe this will even work automagically on other operating systems
> than GNU/Linux, if the commands it uses has been ported to them.

None of the provided commands will work for wayland compositors (I
think) which are becoming more and more the standard on GNU/Linux.  For
example, I'm using sway so when $WAYLAND_DISPLAY and $SWAYSOCK are set,
the background must be set using the swaybg command.  Similarly, with
GNOME, I'd say it's generally the best bet to set the wallpaper using
gsettings because that will work with both GNOME on X11 and GNOME on
Wayland.  But with gsettings, the set wallpaper would be persistent
whereas all other commands would set the wallpaper only for the current
session.

That said, I like the idea.  It's just that the program for setting the
wallpaper is not necessarily a user preference (defcustom) but can also
be a necessity dictated by the WM/compositor/platform.

Bye,
Tassilo