Re: GUI and redisplay work (was: SVG widget in GNU Emacs)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: GUI and redisplay work (was: SVG widget in GNU Emacs)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:12:36 +0200

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 06:07:53PM +0200, Alexandre Garreau wrote:

[...]

> All current Web engines derive from KHTML and Gecko, which are very old…
> wouldn’t the web engines in 2050 still derive from them, given their age?
>
> On the other hand, TeX has now’ve been around for half a century, as long
> as emacs, and longer than the gnu (and nowadays main or even only
> seriously used) implementation of emacs [...]

Before you start re-inventing the world, if I were you, I'd have a
look at what is "out there" already. Perhaps to contribute to it,
perhaps to copy it, but just perhaps to learn from it on how to
do (or not to do) things:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_TeXmacs
  http://texmacs.org/tmweb/home/welcome.en.html

I think Joris and the other (many!) contributors could share quite
a few stories...

Cheers
 - t