Re: describe-char on emoji sequences

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: describe-char on emoji sequences
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:36:29 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  cloos@jhcloos.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:23:07 +0200
>
> Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:
>
> > noto-coloremoji-fonts-20191119-1.9.noarch
>
> Debian/bookworm has:
>
> fonts-noto-color-emoji/testing,now 2.028-1 all [installed,automatic]
>   color emoji font from Google
>
> So it sounds like 1.9 is too old to be detected?  Should we adjust the
> detection logic?

We need to understand how to adjust it.  Does 1.9 lack support for
one of the characters we require for Emoji in
script-representative-chars?  If so, the solution is to upgrade to a
newer version of the font, because we have these 2 characters there
for a reason.

But I'm not yet sure this is the root cause, we need to be sure.