Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 14:28:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> This is now totally and utterly feature complete, so give it a whirl if
>> you're into emojis.  🤑  The branch is scratch/emoji, and the commands
>> are `M-x emoji-insert', `C-u M-x emoji-insert' and `M-x emoji-list'.
>
> Would it make sense to install this on the release branch?  Since it's
> a new orthogonal feature, it cannot possibly break anything else, just
> be broken by itself, right?

It requires changes to transient.el to work, unfortunately.

> (And why is the file in lisp/play/?  Typing Emoji is nowadays not a
> game at all.  Can we move this to lisp/textmodes/?)

I thought we put all the fun stuff in lisp/play/, whether it's a game or
not.  Like handwrite.el and morse.el.  And it's not a mode, so textmodes
seemed like an odd place to put it?  And it didn't seem to fit in any of
the other categories, either.

But I have no opinion here, really -- putting it anywhere's fine by me.

These commands need to have a keystroke, though.  I think people who use
them will be using them a lot, so there should be a default keymap
placement for them.  There's three commands now -- emoji-insert
(graphical/category choosing), emoji-search (textual based on names) and
emoli-list (one big buffer of emojis).

So...  er...  off the top of my head...

C-x 8 e e
C-x 8 e s
C-x 8 e l

`C-x 8' because that's where `C-x 8 RET' is.  Or...  is there a more
likely place for insertion commands?  Uhm...  `C-x g'.  🤔💥