Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:33:35 +0200

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Itʼs not a no-op: it modifies U+2640 or U+2642
>
> Iʼm not sure I understand the issue either: the base codepoint is
> U+1F46E, and emoji-zwj-sequences tells you what the sequences
> are. What else is needed?

There's no VS-16 mixed up with these glyphs -- that a separate issue
that I haven't even tried to understand yet.  :-)

But back to the people.  For instance:

1F3CC 1F3FB 200D 2640 FE0F                  ; RGI_Emoji_ZWJ_Sequence  ; woman
golfing: light skin tone                                 # E4.0   [1] (🏌🏻‍♀️)

(Oh, heh, that one even had a VS-16...)

How am I supposed to go from GOLFER to that glyph?  From POLICE OFFICER
it's no problem getting to "woman police officer: light skin tone",
because those use the same name in the UCS file and in the zwj file, but
GOLFING isn't the same as GOLFER.

Are the names just informational, and I'm supposed to look this up based
on 🏌GOLFER being #x1F3CC?  So the first codepoint is what matters for
determining the variants?