Re: emacsclient startup messages

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: emacsclient startup messages
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 09:32:16 -0700

On 10/25/2021 10:26 PM, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:
even with a emacsclient -q there is no way to silence
emacsclient: Should XDG_RUNTIME_DIR='/run/user/1000' be in the environment?
emacsclient: (Be careful: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is security-related.)

If I say quiet, I mean quiet and that should include this message... more so if they ask me maybe do something that maybe I shouldn't because it is security related...

I believe this is bug#51327. From how I understand it, this is fallout from the fix for bug#33847 that occurs when `emacsclient' is run and can't find a daemon to connect to. As far as I can tell, it's an indicator of a real bug: the code is checking TMPDIR for the socket even on a system with XDG_RUNTIME_DIR set (and ultimately, the to-be-created daemon will put its socket in XDG_RUNTIME_DIR).

- Jim