Re: Current master doesn't build on Win10 (nor does emacs-28)

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Current master doesn't build on Win10 (nor does emacs-28)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 19:56:26 +0200

Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com> writes:

>>> lib/string.h is a Gnulib header, so I suggest to report this to
>>> bug-gnulib@gnu.org.  Or maybe it's some problem with MinGW64 headers
>>> (did that get updated as well recently?).  In any case, I just rebuilt
>>> the relevant files, and saw no problem (I'm a happy user of GCC 9.2.0).
>>
>> I see this too. It seems to be an issue with gnulib and GCC 11.
>> Commenting  out this hunk from lib/string.in.h L456 works around the problem.
>>
>> # if __GNUC__ >= 11 && !defined strdup
>> /* For -Wmismatched-dealloc: Associate strdup with free or rpl_free.  */
>> _GL_FUNCDECL_SYS (strdup, char *,
>>                   (char const *__s)
>>                   _GL_ARG_NONNULL ((1))
>>                   _GL_ATTRIBUTE_MALLOC _GL_ATTRIBUTE_DEALLOC_FREE);
>> # endif
>>

>> Hopefully Paul Eggert will be along soon to come up with a proper fix in
>> gnulib.
>
> Note that this problem also occurs on emacs-28, and the workaround above
> also works. Thus this needs a gnulib fix before the release.

I can't reproduce this for the emacs-28 branch with a pull from
yesterday evening! It seems that

make bootstrap

make install

is running through without any errors.  The MSYS2 and MinGW collections
are quite recent, but it seems gcc 11 is not installed.  gcc --version
=> 10.3.0

Configured for 'x86_64-w64-mingw32'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    .
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc  -g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no
    (The GNU allocators don't work with this system configuration.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         yes
  What window system should Emacs use?                    w32
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes
  Does Emacs use a png library?                           yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use cairo?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -llcms2?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             no
  Does Emacs use native APIs for images?                  yes (w32)
  Does Emacs support sound?                               yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no
  Does Emacs use GSettings?                               no
  Does Emacs use a file notification library?             yes (w32)
  Does Emacs use access control lists?                    yes
  Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               no
  Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
  Does Emacs use HarfBuzz?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lsystemd?                               no
  Does Emacs use -ljansson?                               yes
  Does Emacs use the GMP library?                         yes
  Does Emacs directly use zlib?                           yes
  Does Emacs have dynamic modules support?                yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes
  Does Emacs support Xwidgets?                            no
  Does Emacs have threading support in lisp?              yes
  Does Emacs support the portable dumper?                 yes
  Does Emacs support legacy unexec dumping?               no
  Which dumping strategy does Emacs use?                  pdumper
  Does Emacs have native lisp compiler?                   no