Re: Making `kbd` always return a vector

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Making `kbd` always return a vector
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 22:44:59 -0400

Po Lu [2021-10-24 10:12:08] wrote:
>> BTW, the patch below is because `transient` needs to manipulate the
>> return value of `kbd` and in order to avoid the complexity of having to
>> deal with "sometimes a string sometimes a vector" it passes the
>> `need-vector` argument to `edmacro-parse-keys`.
>>

>>         Stefan "who still hasn't encountered a piece of code which
>>                 requires `kbd` to return a string rather than a vector"
>
> I think I've seen code that needs that.  I can't remember where though.

If you (re)find it, I'd love to hear about it.

> (It was probably one of the few packages that display help information
> for key sequences as they are being entered.)

Hmmm sounds likely (since such code will need to handle those
keysequences which can't be represented as strings, so they should
already handle vector outputs correctly).

One of the possible source of incompatibility is that strings and
vectors behave differently w.r.t `equal`.

        Stefan