Re: (declare (debug 0))

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: (declare (debug 0))
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 08:29:25 -0400

Stephen Gildea [2021-10-18 18:40:20] wrote:
> The node Instrumenting Macro Calls in edebug.texi recommends declaring
>   (debug 0)
> to specify that none of the macro's arguments should be instrumented.
> But all examples I could find in Emacs code use (debug nil) for this.
>
> Which is it, 0 or nil?
>
> If 0 is the preferred specification, should the documentation say what
> other integers mean?

As one of those rare souls who've been working on edebug.el recentishly,
I must say I hadn't noticed this and has no idea that 0 was supposed to
be treated specially.

I would have written (&rest sexp) instead, tho more likely I would have
written nothing at all and relies on the default behavior of Edebug to
not instrument args of macro calls.  This depends on
`edebug-eval-macro-args` being nil, but IMO this var should be removed
because setting it to non-nil will result in broken behavior in too
many situations.

        Stefan