Re: Why does this thread code crash my emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why does this thread code crash my emacs?
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 10:19:18 +0300

> From: dick <dick.r.chiang@gmail.com>
> Cc: ddavies@ddavies.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:56:30 -0400
>
> > There's nothing political about it.
>
> You make it sound like politics are a bad thing.
>
> Everything is politics.  Denying there is politics is among the most
> political things
> one can say.

When discussing solutions to technical problems, politics gets in the
way and usually doesn't help to find a solution.  So yes, it's a bad
thing in this context.

> That `waiting_for_input` is a per-thread flag is reason enough to consider it
> bogus.  No thread but the main thread could wait for input.

But the facts are the OP's recipe proves that a non-main thread _can_
wait for input.  (I already asked what's the difference between the
main and the other threads for this purpose, and I don't think you
answered that.)  As long as no other thread signals that thread, the
OP's program will run without problems.  So, unless by the above you
mean something very specific that you didn't explain in enough detail,
the facts seem to directly contradict what you say.

> I've already extricated it from Commercial Emacs.

We are talking about Emacs, not about your fork, where you can do
whatever you like.  If you don't care about Emacs, why do you insist
on speaking about what we do, time and again?  If you do care, why
does it matter what you did in your private fork, and what does it
prove?