Re: Moving kbd to subr.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Moving kbd to subr.el
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:44:11 +0200

> But at this time, I think we should retain the way `kbd' works right
> now, and not try to make it output "\M-s" strings again (which it
> presumably did at one time).  It most likely stopped doing that a couple
> of decades ago, and nobody noticed -- which is nice,

Yes, let sleeping dogs lie.

> because it probably
> means that we (at some point in the future) can drop the string
> representation altogether (as a return value from `kbd').

Hmm, I'd like to hear what Stefan Monnier has to say about this.

A good first step should in any case be to say in the 'kbd' docstring
that the string syntax is considered obsolete, and that callers should
prepare to handle a vector return value instead.  Perhaps we could
document this already in emacs-28.