Re: master 859190f 2/3: Convert some keymaps to defvar-keymap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 859190f 2/3: Convert some keymaps to defvar-keymap
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 22:01:36 +0300

> Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:07:42 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, stefankangas@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> To reply to your question anyway: perhaps I'm misunderstanding something,
> but I don't see why this would in itself imply preloading anything new.
> The (fboundp 'kbd) check, and checking that the return value of safe_call1
> is non-nil (which I didn't do in the proof of concept) means that this
> would not have any effect until subr.el and edmacro.el (there's no
> "kbd.el", so I guess you mean "edmacro.el") are loaded.

I understand, but edmacro is not preloaded, and files we do preload,
like bindings.el, call define-key all over the place.  Letting all
those calls fail, albeit silently, would not be useful, not if we want
to be able to use 'kbd' syntax freely in preloaded files.  So I'm not
sure I understand how your proposal will work in practice.